UA-7158805-2

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Rosemary Story

Last spring we started a lot of plants from seed which was a very successful venture. There were cannas, geraniums and lisianthus as well as the usual tomatoes and peppers. More about those another day. Today I want to tell you about Rosemary!
Quite the challenge it was, trying to grow Rosemary from seed. I did some research and found it was very, very difficult to start, but some web sites did give some hints and ideas. My first packet of 100 seeds (yes, I did say "first.") was planted in two little containers. It took a long time before TWO came up, one in each container. There was only one problem. They weren’t Rosemary! I couldn’t find out what they were, so after they had the second set of leaves I took a picture of them. One day when we went to an Earl May Nursery, I showed the picture to a the gal there and asked if she could identify them. She said she'd look it up. She did and discovered they were Lemon Balm!! In the meantime, that packet of seeds was replaced, and I started over. To shorten the story, I bought even more seed and did get some plants, probably about twenty in all. They were planted out in the herb garden did very well. I kept two potted in the greenhouse. (Shown in the picture.) I have had three growing in the house through the winter which will go back outside when warm weather comes.
By the way, I found that Lemon Balm is quite tasty when chopped and added to salads. It is a very pretty plant.

No comments:

 
UA-7158805-2